Behavior Management & More: ClassDojo
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, you should consider using Class Dojo if you aren't already!
Click below to read more about how to set up class dojo and different ideas for its use!
There are also creative ways that you can use Class Dojo. For example, You can customize the positive points to be any of the following:
- Content specific vocabulary that you want to hear in discussion so that students are practicing using new vocab.
- The eight mathematical practices because you want to highlight and reinforce their use in your classroom.
- In Social Studies you can make them be the civic qualities and reinforce their use in your class.
- Teamwork sentence starters that you want to hear students using.
- And many other creative ideas that I'm sure you could think of!
Class Dojo Basics
To actually use it during class, I would put the Class Dojo website up on my projector, turn the speakers all the way up for the awesome sounds, and then open the app on my phone. While circulating around the classroom and working with students, I rewarded teams for the positives, and on rare occasion, took points away for the negatives. Students would hear the sound, and see what their team, or all teams were rewarded for. When students hear the negative sound, they always look to see and wonder, "Was that us?" I would do a mid-class check in and review the results, reminding students of the positives, and telling them that they can still turn it around if they needed to. At this time, students were often very honest and I got a lot of "Aww man" or "I told you not to talk out of our team." Then at the end of class we also reviewed their team and whole class progress.
For more on how to set up Class Dojo, see the helpful videos below.